took nearly four years but at last we have a fine pipe
organ at St Mary's, completed in 2005. The old organ built by Norman and Beard in
1908 was dismantled: it needed a vast amount of money spent on
it, and in the end we were advised that it was not worth
restoring. In its place was installed an organ from a redundant
church: St Paulís, Kirby Road, Leicester, which was largely
made by Taylors of Leicester. Some of the pipes from our old
organ were retained and added into the new instrument, and many
new pipes have been specially made. The new instrument has over
2,500 pipes, and is now the largest instrument in the district,
and has cost about £75,000. The work has been done by Roger
Fifield, self employed Organ Builder, and his assistant, Rowan
Almey, Electronics Engineer.
In early 2010 the
organ console was moved onto a moveable platform and can move
along the width of the main platform at the front of the church.
During most services it is positioned in front of the organ
pipes but for recitals can be moved to the centre of the
platform in front of the chancel to give the audience a fine
view of the organist at work. Rowan Almey who assisted Roger
Fifield in the 2005 rebuild carried out the carpentry work on
the console to make it smaller and Chris Jones electronics
engineer rewired the console into its new position and updated
the piston actions which had been giving problem for many years.
With the help of Peter Harris Organist the three completed the
move in 3 days.